Monday, September 03, 2007

"Dwayne of the Upper Regions"


Watch the Video

This was performed on June 29, 2007. Daughter of Force went to my high school in 1989. She's also known as the artist Lilah Freedland.

Brute Force is a strong voice and he writes some great pop songs. It was the first time I saw the band and it was with guitar, bass and drums. The songs have a psychedelia about it but not trippy overboard- really good pop songs. I think if someone else covered Bruce's songs they would miss out on his keyboard playing. I had a good time, even though it was hard to tell.

Peter's playing reminded me of Tom Verlaine+Richard Lloyd maybe a little Marc Ribot because of the "chunkiness" of the tone & sustain. The bass was low in the night's mix but I think it would have been way too loud if they raised the volume a little higher. Daughter of Bruce was a great presence too and the rhythm section.

This episode's links are Save Darfur, National Priorities Project, Veterans For Peace

No comments: