Monday, December 11, 2006

Near Death Experience

This is a near death experience. Sonic Youth, I saw them a few times in the late 80's to early 90's, is a very rough, unfriendly moshpit. SY's album Sister is British new wave deprograming music (think weaning off the Echo & the Bunnymen). Sounds like it's played thru a portable radio, not even a hi fi boombox. Daydream Nation is their "Metallica" album. I liked Goo & Dirty. The latter had Butch Vig's awesome production quality and pop sensibility about it. In the early 90's, Butch Vig was the producer of the Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dreams and Nirvana's Nevermind.

Back to Sonic Youth. I saw them about 3 times and they weaned me off the British New Wave. SY was a gateway band for me. I saw them perform with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I saw the Boredoms open for them, leading me to look up Yamantaka Eye and eventually open to John Zorn's Naked City. The noise thing they had going on turned me on too to Big Black. It was about surreal alienation for me. Sister is my favorite SY album, followed by Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty. I had my fill once Washing Machine came out. This cover by Young@Heart is about as American SY can get. Think Aaron Copland. Maybe a little of Varese's Nocturnal in the ending chorus. Very pop. The male lead vocal sounds like Roy Orbison.

No comments: