Sunday, November 19, 2006

June 2004 White House Reply

In June 2004 I wrote President Bush about how troops were underarmored. I also disagreed how the troop levels were too low to disarm armed militias and control arms smuggling. I wrote the same letter to my senator and representative. This is the reply I got from the White House:
White House Reply, June 2004
view letter
I felt Iraq could just be an unpopular war controlled by a few politicians. In Dec. 15, 2005, I revlogged President Nixon describing the US situation in Vietnam. I felt that President Bush made an awful decision to drag the country into Iraq and made the domestic situation basically "if you're not with us, you're against us". He used the shock of the 9/11 attacks to get the Iraq invasion going. In March 2006 I blogged my frustrations at the Iraq War. Unlike the Bosnia conflict, the US weren't on a peacekeeping mission to stop a civil war. The US wasn't part of a large multinational force. The Bush administration started the chaos and we are made to repair it at cost of our military and civilians caught in the middle. How is the withdrawal going to pan out? Perhaps the surrounding countries may contribute to a stabilizing force? It's difficult to say. Whoever takes the Presidency from Bush will have to deal with withdrawing the troops without further destabilizing the region.

No comments: