Saturday, December 24, 2005

FDNY Chicken



There is a dish at the firehouse, that everyone, at one point or another hated. One particular recipe is called Keith Gough Chicken. It's named after the guy who made it alot. I asked him if he came up with it but he told me someone had taught the recipe to him.

It's very simple to make.

What I'm demonstrating here is the recipe but I'm substituting turkey drumsticks and thighs for the chicken halves.

You start with a casserole pan. This is a one pan recipe. Just one thing to scrub in the end.

You fill it up with carrots. I used organic baby carrots here. You then throw in chopped potatoes. I'm using organic russet.

You put the washed turkey on top and pour your marinade over the whole thing. I used a bottle of Steve's Italian Salad dressing. Add salt, pepper and oregano.

Cover with foil.

Now cook in the oven for 2 hrs at 350 degrees farenheit. Yeah if the alarm goes off and the fire engine has to go on a call, this dish can be left cooking. No stirring involved.

About 45 minutes into cooking time, you can remove the foil so the skin gets nice and browned.

All the fat pretty much cooks down into the carrots and potatoes and in the end- you got yourself a nice greasy fatty meal. Yum!

Sometimes if the whole crew and fire engine gets sent to a different firehouse, say to fill in for another company, you have to bring your own meal. The casserole dish is perfect for these occasions.

I didn't improve much on the Keith Gough Chicken. I'm quite sure the guys will still moan and grown with my version of it. Bon apetit.

2 comments:

missbhavens said...

That looks pretty dang tasty! That doesn't look like a meal that I'd complain about...a little greasy perhaps, but still, sooooo easy!

I love how the ingredients fade into the pan. Cool!

Francisco Daum said...

I've got a ways to go in terms of lighting the subject correctly. You're right, it's greasy.